Adopt just one of these tips and use it every day to make a big difference in your life.
1. Expand your horizons continuously. Your brain is like a marvellous machine that responds better when it is in constant use. So give your brain a workout.
2. Count your blessings each and every morning. Cultivate an attitude of gratitude. Think of all the wonderful things you already have in your life.
3. Learn to really listen to other people. Allow another person to have their say without interruption. Don’t immediately jump in with judgements or advice.
4. Exercise the power of your imagination. Think in great detail about something you really want. Pretend you already have it. Do this often.
5. Acknowledge other people for the efforts they have made. So many people feel under-appreciated and overlooked. A simple ‘thank you’ goes a long way.
6. Huge goals can seem more achievable when they are chunked down. What small step can you take today to take you closer to your goal? Do it.
7. Stretch yourself and try something that seems impossibly hard. Celebrate your courage and wallow in your success.
8. No matter how grim things may seem, you always have options. There is a better outcome and you can achieve it. Ask yourself how.
9. Focus constantly on the positive aspects of your life no matter how small these may be to begin with.
10. Stop the next time you feel yourself getting angry. Take 10 deep breaths. This will give you a chance to think and organise your thoughts before you speak.
11. Resolve to make a difference in somebody else’s life. Be a positive influence on another person.
12. Offer advice only when you’re asked for it (except when you’re writing Success Tips).
13. Keep confidences. If someone trusts you with a secret, honour that person by not sharing it with the world no matter how juicy the gossip potential is.
14. Listen to your intuition and learn to trust it.
15. Ease neck and shoulder tension by moving your neck and lifting your shoulders up and down. This helps release the muscular tension that’s built up.
16. Tithe a portion of your income. Give something back to the world.
17. Be diligent about using your time. It is such a precious asset so don’t waste a moment.
18. Replace bad habits with good ones. Substitute an unhealthy addiction with something pleasurable that doesn’t take a toll on your health or wealth.
19. Remind yourself of your many successes and achievements. Consider the obstacles you’ve overcome. You’ve done it before, and you can do it again.
20. Change your vocabulary. Ban such self-limiting phrases as ‘I should’, ‘if only’, ‘I can’t’ and ‘I must’ and any others that spring to mind.
21. Face your challenges head-on. Tackle the tasks you have been avoiding. You’ll feel so energised afterwards.
22. Look for reasons to compliment someone else. If you look hard enough, you’ll find something positive to say.
23. Organise your daily tasks in order of importance. Focus on only those that you consider the most urgent. The rest can wait.
24. Spend five minutes at the end of each day making a list of the tasks you need to do the next day then forget about them until the morning.
25. Breathe deeply from your diaphragm. Shallow breathing (from your chest) will just put you in a panicky ‘fight or flight’ state.
26. Have a good cry if you feel like it. Crying releases all sorts of tension in your body.
27. Go for a walk, even if it’s just a stroll around the office. Sitting at a desk all day is bad for your posture. Get a change of scene and open your mind.
28. Allow yourself at least five minutes alone each day. Work, kids, your partner and the world will survive without your loving presence for 300 seconds.
29. Do one thing every day that will take you closer to your goals. If you want to write a book, write something every day.
30. Find something that makes you laugh and stick with it. Laughter releases feel-good chemicals in the body making you feel happy. So go on, have a laugh.