What are the unique gifts that differentiate you from other solo entrepreneurs? The path to discovering your gifts may take a lifetime, but you can use the exploration process to begin to use your gifts NOW!
Unfortunately, for many different reasons people get sidetracked or never even get started taking the actions that would help them discover their uniqueness. Here are some suggested strategies to help move forward and stay on the path of discovering your gifts.
1. Make yourself a priority. Understand what’s important to you. To do that, you have to make yourself important in your life. Spend less time worrying about what everyone else thinks you should do. That’s what got you confused in the first place.
2. Build a reserve of money, time and space. This doesn’t mean you have to be rich to live your dreams. However, if you’re always lacking in money, time and space, you’re creating extra pressure for yourself. Having some reserves gives you the freedom to play and make different choices.
3. Have a daily practice that keeps you connected with your gifts. A daily practice allows you to develop the skill and discipline to listen to yourself. Learn to look inward for answers. Consider journaling, meditation or other practices that help you tune out the world and hear your own whispers.
4. Ask others for input on what you can’t see in yourself. Sometimes it’s hardest to see your own gifts. People may overlook or dismiss your strengths and talents. Chances are your friends and family can provide clues about what’s special and great in you.
5. Don’t think too much. It’s time to get out of your head and into your heart and body—they have intelligence to share. You can’t always think your way to the answers. When you are engaged in activities, pay attention to your feelings or your body. Are you energized? Do you lose track of time? Don’t miss these valuable clues.
6. Get a fan club. Discovering your gifts doesn’t have to be a solitary endeavor. Exercise the choice you have about who to spend time with. Why not surround yourself with positive and supportive people?
7. Befriend your inner critic. Keep reminding yourself that knowing and using your gifts is not about being right or wrong or perfect. Discovering your gifts is an ongoing process of learning. Expect resistance, learn from your inner critic, and keep taking action.
8. Maintain a sense of humor. It is important to have a sense of lightness and fun to welcome new ideas and opportunities. Don’t be too serious. Take delight in unwrapping your gifts.
9. Shine the light on beliefs. Don’t underestimate the power of belief. What do you believe about yourself and the world that could be hindering your progress? Replace beliefs that don’t serve you. Consider creating an “old belief graveyard” and “new belief birth ward.”
10. Don’t step off a cliff, just take one small step toward the edge. The process of discovering your gifts requires action. The focus is not on arriving somewhere, but on being on the journey and learning. A desire to make changes in your life may come with a deeper understanding of your gifts. However, you don’t have to make drastic changes overnight. What’s one small step you can take to move in the direction of your gifts?
Copyright 2004, Karen Tax
Copyright 2004, Karen Tax